Degrees obtained in other countries - NAWA

In order to personalize content, adjust and analyse ads, and provide safer experience, we use cookies. By using this website, you agree to the collection of information by us. The details can be found at: Privacy policy.

A foreign degree may be recognised as equivalent to a Polish one on the basis of an international agreement or (if there is no such an agreement) through the procedure of nostrification (read more).



Diplomas confirming the completion of higher education abroad cannot be recognised in Poland if:

  1. institutions which issued them or institutions in which the education was provided: 
    1. were not accredited higher education institutions on the date of issuing the diploma or implemented a study programme which did not have accreditation on the date of issuing the diploma or
    2. do not operate within a higher education system of any country or
  2. a higher education programme or its part was implemented against provisions of the country in which the education was provided.


Legal basis:

  • Article 327 paragraph 1 Act of 20 July 2018 on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2023, item 742),
  • Regulation of the Minister of Science and Higher Education of 28thSeptember 2018 on the nostrification of higher education diplomas obtained abroad and on confirmation of completion higher education studies at a given level of education (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1881).


If you need a recognition statement, e.g. to present it to your employer or to continue your study at Polish university, you can use the KWALIFIKATOR system, or apply for an individual statement to NAWA. 

Information regarding recognition of school certificates in Poland is provided by the Department for International Cooperation in the Ministry of National Education (25 J.Ch. Szucha Street, 00-918 Warsaw, Phone.: +48 22 34 74 312 or +48 22 34 74 552, e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).