Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange (NAWA) certifies the following documents awarded by Polish higher education institutions:
- originals, duplicates or official copies (odpis), issued in Polish or in a foreign language, of:
- diploma supplements
- PhD diplomas
- habilitation diplomas
- originals or duplicates of certificates of completion of postgraduate studies (świadectwo ukończenia studiów podyplomowych) - only documents issued in Polish
- originals of certificates of completion of studies (zaświadczenie o ukończeniu studiów) - only documents issued in Polish.
The apostille clause may only be used to certify documents containing a signature of the person authorized to sign them and their personal stamp with their imprinted name and surname and their official function at the university.
What documents we do NOT certify
Documents not mentioned above – for example notarial copies, sworn translations, transcripts of records etc. – canNOT be certified by NAWA. To find information regarding certification of these documents contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs https://www.gov.pl/web/diplomacy/certification-of-documents
NAWA does NOT certify documents awarded by church higher education institutions as well as the Polish Academy of Sciences and research institutes. These can be certified by:
- Secretary of Polish Episcopal Conference – diplomas and other documents awarded by a church higher education institution
- Chancellery of Polish Academy of Sciences – diplomas and other documents awarded by the scientific institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences or international scientific institutes
- Ministry supervising a given research institute – diplomas and other documents awarded by a research institute.
In case of documents issued by another institution – eg. Prawosławne seminarium duchowne – please contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for advice what institution is authorized to authenticate such document.
The application for a certification of documents can be submitted in the NAWA Welcome Centre from Monday to Friday between 8.30 a.m. and 4.30 p.m.
Between 9.00 a.m. and 11.00 a.m., an employee of the Department of Academic Recognition may initially verify whether all the documents are attached to the application form.
- The initial verification may be carried out solely during the indicated hours.
- The initial verification concerns solely the formal completeness of the application and has no influence on the final outcome of the apostille / legalization procedure.
- During the content related further verification, the application may turn out to be incomplete. The applicant then shall be requested via an e-mail to complete the required documents.
- The initially verified applications shall be submitted by the applicant in the NAWA Welcome Centre for registration.
- The outcome of the initial verification has no influence on the time within which the application for apostille / authentication shall be evaluated.