1. Equivalence of academic degrees
You can use the Polish equivalent of a foreign academic degree if it meets at least one of the following criteria:
- it is covered by the provisions of the international agreement regarding the equivalence of education,
- was granted by an authorized institution operating in an EU, OECD or EFTA member state,
- was issued in another country and recognized on the basis of regulations on the nostrification of academic degrees obtained abroad (read more about the nostrification procedure).
Academic degree obtained abroad cannot be recognized as an equivalent of a Polish academic degree if:
- institutions which awarded the degree:
- do not operate within a higher education system of any country or
- were not entitled to award scientific degrees or
- education programme leading to this degree or its part was implemented against provisions of the country in which the education was provided.
- international agreements,
- Article 328 of the Act on Higher Education and Science of 20th July 2018. (Journal of Laws of 2023, item 742),
- Regulation of the Minister of Science and Higher Education of 28th September, 2018 on the Nostrification of Academic Degrees and Degrees In the Area of Art Obtained Abroad (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1877).
2. Recognition of foreign habilitation
If the habilitation procedure in a given country does not end with award of a scientific degree, a document issued after its completion cannot be considered equivalent to a diploma confirming award of a degree in Poland.
Legal basis: art. 328 paragraph 1 of the Act of 20 July 2018 on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2023, item 742).
3. Equivalence of the title of professor
The foreign title of professor can be recognized as an equivalent to the Polish academic title of profesor only on the basis of an international agreement. The Act of 20 July 2018 on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2023, item 742) does not provide - in the absence of international agreements - the possibility to recognize the equivalence of the title of professor granted abroad with its Polish counterpart by way of nostrification.