Degrees obtained in EU, OECD or EFTA member states - NAWA

In order to personalize content, adjust and analyse ads, and provide safer experience, we use cookies. By using this website, you agree to the collection of information by us. The details can be found at: Privacy policy.

A degree awarded by an institution operating in the education system of one of the EU, OECD or EFTA  countries, upon completion of:

  • 3-year studies or first cycle studies with the nominal duration of min. 3 years -  confirms possession of  a first cycle degree in Poland
  • second cycle studies - confirms possession of a second cycle degree  in Poland
  • long cycle studies with the nominal duration of min. 4 years – confirms possession of a second cycle degree in Poland

The same applies to the degrees awarded jointly by higher education institutions operating in these countries.



Diplomas confirming the completion of higher education abroad cannot be recognised in Poland if:

  1. institutions which issued them or institutions in which the education was provided:
    1. were not accredited higher education institutions on the date of issuing the diploma or implemented a study programme which did not have accreditation on the date of issuing the diploma or
    2. do not operate within a higher education system of any country or
  2. a higher education programme or its part was implemented against provisions of the country in which the education was provided.


Lagal basis: Article 326 Act of 20 July 2018 on Higher Education and Science (Journal of Laws of 2023, item 742).


If you need a recognition statement, e.g. to present it to your employer or to continue your study at Polish university, you can use the KWALIFIKATOR system, or apply for an individual statement to NAWA. 


The fact that your foreign degree confirms possession of first cycle or second cycle degree in Poland does not mean that it is equivalent to a given Polish degree (e.g. magister, inżynier, licencjat etc.).

A  foreign degree may be recognized as equivalent to a Polish one either on the basis of an international agreement  or (if there are no such agreements) by way of nostrification.

Information regarding recognition of school certificates in Poland is provided by the Department for International Cooperation in the Ministry of National Education (25 J.Ch. Szucha Street, 00-918 Warsaw, Phone.: +48 22 34 74 312 or +48 22 34 74 552, e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).