NAWA Summer Courses 2021 program
Please be informed that in 2021 the program "Summer courses of Polish language and culture" changed its name to "NAWA Summer Courses" and was transformed into an institutional program, which for potential course participants means a new formula of the recruitment procedure. In accordance with the new assumptions, the recruitment of participants will be carried out by NAWA accredited universities.
We would also like to inform you that this year the courses will be conducted online.
The list of universities organizing the 2021 Summer Courses will appear on this website in May 2021. Then, the universities will publish the course programs and recruitment rules on their websites.
Candidates for the Program must meet the following requirements:
• have the status of a student or teacher of a foreign university,
• do not live in Poland,
• Polish is not their first language,
• have not studied in Poland in the 2020/2021 academic year.
Universities will have the right to extend the above mentioned requirements - for example, with provisions regarding health insurance or reaching 18 years of age.
The aim of the courses is to strengthen language competences, as well as to deepen ties with Poland and encourage participants to study in Poland or - in the longer term - to cooperate with Polish universities and companies in the field of science and economy.
The course program includes intensive classes in Polish as a foreign language, practical workshops, lectures on Polish history and culture, and integration events.
Participation in the course and all related activities is free of charge for course participants.
The duties of the course participants will include:
- self-financing of travel costs - to the place of the course and back,
- not less than 75% attendance at compulsory classes within the course,
- participation in evaluation activities during the course and after its completion, including completing an on-line questionnaire, access to which will be given before the end of the course,
- participation in evaluation studies conducted by the Ministry of Education and Science on the terms specified by the Ministry of Education and Science,
- cooperation with the course organizer and the teachers conducting the classes in order to achieve the best possible results of the course.
Courses for students will take place in July and August and will last 3 weeks.
The Agency's recruitment guidelines for universities organizing summer courses for students are as follows:
- • admission to the course of students for whom participation in it will prove to be most useful from the point of view of the course objectives (i.e. people who relate their academic or professional career with Poland - e.g. students of Polish studies or future teachers of the Polish language),
- • admission to the course of people whose achievements, e.g. academic accomplishments or position in the community, or the possibility of influencing public opinion in their environment or country, increase the probability that positive opinions about Poland and a friendly attitude towards it will spread (e.g. preferring people who publish their texts),
- • a significant percentage of students from the countries indicated on the attached list of preferred countries (from the Poland My First Choice program),
- • a significant percentage of people who have not yet benefited from this form of support from the Polish State,
- • diversity of participants in terms of country of origin, universities, backgrounds, faculties where they study,
- • creating at least one group in which learning the language will start from scratch (level A1).
The accredited university will have the right to include additional elements in the recruitment.
The NAWA summer course for the teachers is intended for non-Polish citizens who teach Polish as a foreign language in academic centers outside Poland.
The course will take place in August and will last 3 weeks. Its main goal is to strengthen the teaching, methodological and linguistic competences of teachers through language classes, workshops and lectures on the Polish language and culture. An important goal of the course is also to integrate Polish as a foreign language teachers from various countries and parts of the world.
The estimated number of participants is 30 people.
In the case of foreign teachers, the Agency's recruitment guidelines are as follows:
- admission to the course of the most active teachers, who provide many hours of classes for many different groups of students;
- admission to the course of teachers whose achievements, e.g. academic or position in the community, or the possibility of influencing public opinion in their environment or country, increase the probability that positive opinions about Poland and a friendly attitude towards it will spread (e.g. people who publish their texts);
- admission to the course of teachers for whom participation in the course will prove to be the most useful from the point of view of the course objectives (e.g. those who have a real possibility of increasing the number of classes and want to use this opportunity);
- diversity of participants in terms of the country of origin, universities, communities, departments where they conduct Polish language courses.
All current information about the Program will appear in the first place in this tab.
The list of countries indicated as preferred countries of residence of participants of NAWA summer courses is available here here