NAWA Chair – a prestigious grant for research conducted by outstanding scientists in Poland! - NAWA

In order to personalize content, adjust and analyse ads, and provide safer experience, we use cookies. By using this website, you agree to the collection of information by us. The details can be found at: Privacy policy.

You can apply for the NAWA Chair Programme from now until 23 May 2022. The programme offers Polish institutions of science and higher education a long-term financial package to invite a foreign scientist of international renown with a view to build a research team.

Science in response to the challenges of civilization

The objective of the Programme is to support the highest quality scientific, research and didactic activities conducted by Polish academic and scientific units by including world-class foreign scientists in the fields of: natural sciences, engineering and technology, medical and health sciences and agricultural sciences.

The Programme is addressed to institutions of the Polish system of higher education and science, as it is the institutions who apply directly. Universities and institutes can employ the best foreign scientists to lead projects that address civilization challenges of global significance. Creating a research team under the leadership of a world-class scientist is a unique opportunity to use and develop the scientific potential of the employing institution, showcase the institution’s own achievements and increase its international recognition.

Research Component – start grant funded by NCN

An important element of the Programme is the Research Component – a start grant financed by the National Science Centre (NCN) for the implementation of scientific research of a basic character in the first 18 months of project implementation. Nonetheless, we encourage Visiting Scientists to actively apply for prestigious research grants.

The total amount allocated for the call is PLN 20,000,000.00, however NAWA reserves the right to increase this amount as well as not to use the entirety of the allocated funds. The financing for a single project, assuming that it will last 48 months, may amount up to PLN 3,103,600.00. However, it should be emphasized that the Agency finances 80% of the project costs. The remaining 20% is the applicant’s own contribution, i.e. the applying institution.

Important dates

Applications for the programme are accepted from 23 February 2022 through 23 May 2022, exclusively electronically through the Agency’s ICT system.

The programme provides the opportunity to employ a Visiting Scientist for a period of 3 to 4 years. The project may start not earlier than on 1 February 2023 and not later than on 1 October 2023. 

Call for proposals 

Previous editions

In 2020, NAWA conducted a pilot call for applications for the NAWA Chair Programme – Guest Professorship, aimed at scholars representing the humanities, social sciences, and theology. As a result of this call, five projects of outstanding scientists were selected for funding. The selected scientists conduct their research at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, the Jagiellonian University, Maria Curie-Sklodowska University in Lublin, the University of Warsaw and the University of Wrocław.

The programme in a new version and under a new name brings changes, therefore please carefully read the Announcement of the Call and its attachments.


NAWA www Profesura EN v3